Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Celebrating Mike

Yesterday was Mike's birthday. Words cannot adequately express how grateful I am for him. He is so good to me and for me. I want to love him well and show him how much I appreciate him every day, but especially yesterday, I wanted to make sure he felt celebrated. Sometimes it is the little things, right? Here's some of the ways he was celebrated:

*Oodles of birthday wishes on Facebook. Mike was in awe of how many people wished him a happy birthday.

*We had a meeting during lunch time at school, and I showed up with some of Mike's favorite cookies (Cherry Oatmeal Chocolate Chip) - fresh out of the oven. (Note to self: fresh out of the oven cookies don't travel very well, but they still taste good! :)

*Mike's Mom sent his birthday box early, and had instructed me to open it up and hide/keep the gifts until his actual birthday (she knows him all too well - he would have peaked/tried to figure them out:) When he came home from school, all of the gifts & cards that I had stashed away were sitting on the table waiting for him. After he opened them, he said, "So where was your hiding place?" I said, "I'm not going to tell you - I might need to use it again sometime!:)"

*We went out for a good German meal at a nearby restaurant. I had only been there before on busy summer nights. Last night it was us, a table of what I assume to be local men, and the owners. It was great! We are thankful to at least know enough German to get by, understand them, and use no English. Language learning is a slow process, but we're thankful that we're beginning to feel more and more confident and comfortable with the language.

*Phone calls from family and friends wishing Mike a Happy Birthday

*And we finished off the day with a special dessert I had made for Mike....Not sure what to call it - a torte maybe? A layer of cake/biscuit, a layer of almond cream, and a layer of cherries. (The man loves cherries - can you tell?)

Happy 29th Birthday, Mike! :) (I think I need to start planning next year's shin-dig now...:)

No comments: