Today was the first day of school at BFA. This is a place steeped in traditions, one of which is beginning the new school year with fanfare. The day starts with "Opening Ceremony," which as I think about it, could be compared with its Olympic counterpart. The faculty, ResLife staff, and senior class all march in - I think we call that a processional? (Living in a foreign country sometimes makes me question certain English words.) Each member of the senior class carries the flag of a different country. (Often it's a country that student has lived in or holds a special affinity for.)
Now here's where the ceremony varied from recent tradition. You see, our former director left in July and we currently have an interim director. Mr. Interim Director rappelled down out of the rafters. I for one was definitely surprised. (So surprised that I have absolutely no pictures from this morning to show you.)
One favorite tradition that was also missing was the interviewing of the first graders. It is a memorably funny time because first graders have some interesting answers to basic questions (such as where they live, what their parents do, etc.). One of the two first graders was sick today, so evidently there will be an interviewing of the first graders in a few weeks (when their German counterparts in the bilingual school join them).
After the director's rappelling and introductory speech was the roll call of nations. Each nation represented by this year's student body - either by passport country or the country in which their parents serve - is listed. This year's list was fifty-some countries long, and spanned Europe, Asia, and Africa. (And I'm pretty sure there was at least one or two countries that I do not know the location of.)
It is good to have the students back. After all, that's why we're here. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment