Thursday, August 20, 2009

Post-English Camp Brain Drain

Every year after English Camp, I find myself worn down. A year spent preparing ends with several weeks of intense English Camp work. For the last week before staff arrived, I was working twelve hour days. Then for four weeks, I was either at camp or on call 24 hours a day. My cell phone was always in my pocket. At times, I was talking on two phones at once. My time and energy were spent making sure that everyone had what they needed and that everything was running smoothly.

I have heard the difference between long term and short term missions described as a marathon and a sprint. At the end of this year's marathon (just the same as previous summers), my reserves were empty. Emotionally, physically, and mentally, I was spent. I am slowly beginning the restoration process, but I am still pretty fatigued.

I have had to remind myself that this is normal and to be expected. I think the hard part has been that I jumped right into BFA. (English Camp staff left Sunday the 9th and BFA new staff orientation started Monday the 10th.) Most of the BFA staff have had time off this summer, or at least their summers have been a bit more laid back than mine has been. I have had to remind myself not to compare me to them.

I am doing okay. I just have to put priority on doing those things that will restore me and give me rest. At this point, I'm not sure I have the physical and emotional energy necessary to get through the first week of school next week, but God always gives us what we need when we need it, so I am praying and trusting Him.

No comments: