Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Round Two

Time flies when you are having fun, right? We have spent the past two and a half weeks watching God work - in both the big and little things. For the first camp session, I was at a camp. What a joy it was to watch God bring together a diverse group of believers and unify them together with the purpose of sharing His love and truth with German teens. I so enjoyed getting to know and work with this group of staff.

I have always said that my favorite part of this ministry is the people. I love getting to know both the staff and campers. One of the special joys for me this summer has been working with returning staff who I already knew (some for several summers!) and some former campers who are now staff. Lowell is the man who directed the camp I was at. He has recruited for English Camps for several years, and is part of my story - God used Lowell to bring me to English Camps and to Europe. Maggie was a part of my CU teams in 2005 and 2006, but her father led the first CU English Camp team that I was a part of in 2001. Jenny was a camper when I met her in 2005, and this is her third summer as staff. She has been our intern this summer and has been an AMAZING blessing and help to us. I could go on and on - God has blessed us with so many amazing people who pour their lives and hearts into these camps for two weeks (and beyond - most staff keep up relationships with campers after camp via email, Facebook, etc.)

On Saturday, the campers left. On Sunday, the first session staff departed and the second session staff arrived. They have spent the past few days getting ready for the campers who arrive tomorrow. Today the staff is enjoying a sightseeing trip into the Alsace region of France (about an hour's drive from here) - I just saw them off.

Many of you know that I am very hard on myself, have an (sometimes stubborn) independent streak, and don't always understand the importance of rest like I should. God has long been teaching me about these things, especially recently. And I oh-so-slowly starting to learn these lessons. The latest part of this lesson? Over the weekend I came down with a cold. Usually I can fight them off pretty well, but not this time. My body succumbed pretty quickly. And I'll admit - I was frustrated. What horrible timing. I did NOT need to be sick. I did not WANT to be sick. But slowly, I began to realize that maybe it was my body telling me it was more worn down than I was admitting. And I have been learning the lesson that it is okay to let people help me. (Of course, I don't easily let them help me. I have to put up a fight first.) When I step back and realize that if the roles were reversed, of course I would do the same thing for them (such as a 4am airport run) and not let them do it! So yes, little by little God is working on me. And He is so good to me, in the ways He provides for me, and in the people He has put in my life.

Here's just a small glimpse into the first camp (more pictures later!):

Steve, Maggie, and Jenny - EC veteran staff and blessings to me!

Emily (staff) and Lea (camper) are anything but fierce, but they tried to be on Superbowl theme day!
All of the EC3 campers - yay HBR!
Maggie is back for her fourth summer as staff!
Signing t-shirts - an English Camp tradition!On the last night, we have a banquet and the staff serve the campers. Here I am with Angie and Hanneke, ready to serve. As the German staff pointed out, the towels are NOT classy/fancy, but they are English Camp. :)

Thank you for your prayers - God is using you mightily in that way. We couldn't do this without you standing with us in prayer. Please keep praying - for the first session campers as they have returned home - that the seeds that were planted will be watered. And for the second session campers as they arrive tomorrow. Pray for health, safety, unity, and for God's Spirit to be at work in both the staff and campers.

No comments: