Today - October 31st - is Reformationstag (Reformation Day). On this day in 1517, Martin Luther hung the 95 Theses on the church in Wittenberg. I didn't realize this holiday existed until I moved to Germany. I think it is a day worth remembering. To thank the Lord for how he used Martin Luther to shape the history of the Church and our faith. To translate the Bible into German (which I believe had something to do with the Bible then being translated into English, but I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that:).
However, tomorrow - Allerheiligen (All Saints' Day) - is the holiday that the Germans observe. All of the stores are closed. That, coupled with the fact that stores are always closed on Sunday, meant that I had to go grocery shopping this afternoon to make sure I eat all weekend. (Yes, folks, the stores are closed for 2 entire days. Welcome to the land of not 24-hour stores. Where rest is observed.) So did everyone else. And the lines were long. And no one complained. Imagine that.
No comments:
Post a Comment