Sunday, October 5, 2008

One Week Down!

Wow! I am amazed that I have finished my first week of language study already and am about to embark on week 2! Some bulleted highlights:

*I am at a small private language school, but yet I did not expect to be the only student this week. Yay for one on one instruction!
*I knew that German and English have lots of parallels, but I am finding that there are more similarities than I realized. But there are also some significant differences too!
*There are some sounds/pronunciations that I know in my brain, but I just can't get my mouth to make! (I think there is hope and that I am slowly improving, though!)
*My background in TESOL has given me a good foundation for language learning - good systems and methods, as well as understanding of grammar, etc.
*It is good to ask questions! Or, as the Germans say, "Wer, wie, was? Wieso, weshalb, warum? Wer nicht fragt bleibt dumm!" (Who, how, what? How so, why, why? Who does not ask stays dumb!")
*Yes, German has more question words than English (so much for the 5Ws and an H!). No, I do not know them all yet.
*Yes, German is a very precise language.
*Yes, Elbedampfschifffahrtskapitäansmützenhaken is indeed all one word. It means the Elbe (the river that runs through Dresden) steamship trip's capitan's hat's hook.

And a couple of tongue twisters:
*Fischers Fritz fischt frische Fische,
frische Fische fischt Fischers Fritz.
*Zwischen zwei Zweigen zischen zwei Schlangen.
(Yeah, I can't say them either....yet!:)

Allow me to leave you with some photos from the beautiful baroque city of Dresden!

A mural made of Meißen porcelain tiles that shows the procession of Saxony's princes
A view of a square that made me stop and sigh...I love Europe!
The Frauenkirche
A university
Looking across the Elbe River


No comments: