As my roommate can attest, I have experienced much anxiety recently about English Camp planning. This is my own fault. It is evidence that I am giving in to my perfectionistic tendancies and fear of failure and trying to do things in my own power, rather than depending on God and remembering that these are His camps.
Less than two weeks and our staff will be here. Two weeks from tomorrow the first group of campers arrive. This is what was causing me to feel overwhelmed yesterday. There is still much that needs to be done. That should be done. That could be done.
I needed to make myself stop. Stop and realize everything that is already in place. Stop and praise God for the amazing ways He has already provided. Stop and set realistic expectations for myself. Stop and realize what needs to be done, and what is not necessary. To appropriately prioritize.
I'm learning the hard lesson that God doesn't want me to sacrifice my health and sanity for the ministry. When you are a short-termer, it's easier to treat your ministry like a sprint - to completely pour yourself into everything you do and give 120% constantly. When it is done, you 'recover.' This is what I have been used to doing in summers past - spending 4 weeks of my summer completely pouring myself out for English Camp. Now that I am full-time staff, I can't do that. I need to treat it more like a marathon. I need to pace myself. Yes, I still want to give everything I can to English Camp, but if I don't pace myself, I won't have the endurance I need for the next 2, 6, or 7 weeks. I want to live this summer 'slow and steady,' not as 'a rat race,' so that I can observe the wonderful ways that God works, as well as stay sensitive to His Spirit.
I want this summer to shine with His glory. At the end of the summer, I don't want to look back and say 'I made English Camps happen.' Rather, I want to say 'Look what God did. See the wonderful ways He made English Camps happen and happen well!' To Him be the glory!
1 comment:
Kari, we face similar challenges on deputation. Thanks for the reminder to keep depending on the Lord for our strength. He is faithful, and He will take care of the rest.
Post a Comment