So you know how when God is trying to teach you something - when He is seemingly "beating you over the head" with something, the idea comes up everywhere you turn? That's how my weekend has been. It started yesterday when I was having dinner with my neighbor Mari Ellen. (Aside on how thankful I am for Mari Ellen: I am so thankful that Mari Ellen is my neighbor. For her laugh. For her notes on our door. For her cups of tea. For her open door and hospitality. For her listening ear. I am thankful that at times when I am not listening to the Spirit's presence with me, God uses His Spirit in Mari Ellen to speak Truth to me. I am blessed.) I was telling Mari Ellen that because I know just how unworthy I am of God's love and grace and strength, I continue to try to live life in my own strength. Mari Ellen looked at me and said "But Kari, isn't that the point? None of us are worthy. That's why He died."
At church this morning, we had communion - another reminder of the cross and its redeeming power in my life. We started and ended communion with the song "The Power of the Cross" by Keith Getty and Stuart Townsend. (Side note: If you haven't heard any of Keith and Kristyn Getty's songs, I highly recommend that you check them out. Powerful, truth-speaking lyrics.) One line in particular caught my attention: "Oh to see my name written in the wounds." MY name. Written in HIS wounds. What a word picture! What love!
Oh, to see my name
Written in the wounds,
For through Your suffering I am free.
When I got home, I turned on some music. I just picked up where I left off the last time I listened to music. The first song that played? "By His Wounds" by Mac Powell (on the "Glory Revealed" CD):
By His wounds, we are healed...
Then, I checked my email. One of my friends included the following quote in an email from Max Lucado's book Come Thirsty:
"The big news of the Bible is not that you love God but that God loves you; notOk, Lord, I'm listening. You know me and yet You still choose to love me. May I live every moment in light of the cross, in the power of Your love.
that you can know God but that God knows you! He tattooed your name on the
palm of his hand. His thoughts of you outnumber the sand on the shore. You
never leave his mind, escape his sight, flee his thoughts. He sees the worst
of you and loves you still. Your sins of tomorrow and failings of the future
will not surprise him; He sees them now. Every day and deed of your life has
passed before his eyes and been calculated in his decision. He knows you
better than you know you and has reached his verdict: HE LOVES YOU STILL.
No discovery will disillusion him; no rebellion will dissuade Him. He loves
you with an everlasting love."
No comments:
Post a Comment