I miss working with students on a daily basis this fall, but I am excited to build relationships with them outside of the classroom this year. I have been anxious to see all of my students from last year and hear about their summers. Because I haven't been around school much, I have only seen most of them from a distance.
Yesterday afternoon, I saw my lone middle schooler from last year - "G.I." is his BFA nickname. I wish I had captured the look on his face when he saw me - it was full of such joy! He jumped up and gave me a big hug! G.I. was a seventh grader last year, and had the look of a boy when I met him a year ago. He is now taller than me and looks more like the teenager that he now is. In the five or so minutes that I spent talking to him, he gave me at least three hugs. (He's a hugger.:) He was just so excited to see me! It was great to hear about his summer, how the new school year is for him, and to see him more settled into life here at BFA.
Mike and I are going to be subbing at HBR every Thursday evening this year - it's the dorm parents' day off. HBR is the dorm where Mike was an RA for 4 years, and I think part of his heart still lives there. :) Last evening was our first evening to sub there. Three of my students from last year are HBR guys. Again, I had not yet seen these guys to personally talk to yet this year. All three of them gave me hugs - not something I expected from high school boys! I was excited to see them, but didn't necessarily expect them to be as excited to see me as they were! It was a joy to see them and hear about their summers! D. is a bit taller and got a haircut - he looks more grown up! J. gave me a one-armed sort of "macho" hug, but that suits J. perfectly. It was a joy to talk to S. and hear how much clearer and comprehensible his English is, compared to a year ago. It was also amazing to hear about how he spent his summer serving in his parents' ministry, helping with the church worship team, translating for a missions team, etc.
These kids are amazing kids, I tell you! We're blessed to be here and love working with these students!
No comments:
Post a Comment