So I did a little digging in my computer files this morning, and I found my "I Am From" poem. Sure enough, it contains the phrase "step by step in His hands."
I'm going to share this poem with you. Why share this on a blog about my current life and ministry in Germany? Because, while the world described in this poem seems starkly different from my current "world," this poem speaks of who I am, of where I am from. I wouldn't be where I am or who I am today without the foundation described in this poem.
I AM FROM
I am from four-legged spots of black and white amidst fields of rolling green bordered by rusty barbed-wire fences,
From gallons upon gallons of fresh white milk rushing through the shiny metal pipeline from one end of the barn to the other,
From bright green John Deere tractors slowly rolling through the field, preparing the hay to be made into thousands of compact dusty bales.
I am from a kitchen table covered with mountains of white mashed potatoes, craters of creamy macaroni and cheese, and a rainbow of garden-fresh vegetables,
From plates of warm chocolate chip cookies straight from the oven and full glasses of ice cold milk,
From holidays filled with special foods, like the plethora of pumpkin bread at Christmas, which some people eat a loaf at a time.
I am from shouts of joy, chaotic laughter, tears of shared sorrow, and smiling faces,
From sticking together, loving each other, and growing closer through all the ups and downs – no matter what we may face,
From endless love, hugs, and support, not only for each other, but also for countless friends and family.
I am from “Amazing Grace,” “Jesus Loves Me,” “He Leadeth Me,” and “Because He Lives,”
From a small country church, where the people are more family than friends.
From bowing the knee and surrendering my life to serve God – to live every day step by step in His hands.
I am a stalk of alfalfa, growing in the field of God’s grace, supported by the roots of family and friends.
I am from four-legged spots of black and white amidst fields of rolling green bordered by rusty barbed-wire fences,
From gallons upon gallons of fresh white milk rushing through the shiny metal pipeline from one end of the barn to the other,
From bright green John Deere tractors slowly rolling through the field, preparing the hay to be made into thousands of compact dusty bales.
I am from a kitchen table covered with mountains of white mashed potatoes, craters of creamy macaroni and cheese, and a rainbow of garden-fresh vegetables,
From plates of warm chocolate chip cookies straight from the oven and full glasses of ice cold milk,
From holidays filled with special foods, like the plethora of pumpkin bread at Christmas, which some people eat a loaf at a time.
I am from shouts of joy, chaotic laughter, tears of shared sorrow, and smiling faces,
From sticking together, loving each other, and growing closer through all the ups and downs – no matter what we may face,
From endless love, hugs, and support, not only for each other, but also for countless friends and family.
I am from “Amazing Grace,” “Jesus Loves Me,” “He Leadeth Me,” and “Because He Lives,”
From a small country church, where the people are more family than friends.
From bowing the knee and surrendering my life to serve God – to live every day step by step in His hands.
I am a stalk of alfalfa, growing in the field of God’s grace, supported by the roots of family and friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment