No, I was thankful to have an outdoor job. Occasionally I unloaded wagons, but usually I raked the hay. There I sat, on a John Deere tractor probably twice as old as I was, pulling the rake. I wore a tank top, shorts, and dusty old sneakers. My hair was pulled back under a baseball cap that I wore backwards. (This kept my hair from flying around, and if I wore it forward, the wind would catch the brim and the hat would go flying away.) Sunglasses shielded my eyes from the bright summer sun. I must have had more of a tomboy look than I realized, because the neighbor asked my Dad who his new “hired boy” was.
At fourteen, I didn’t like the fact that my family didn’t take family vacations like most families I knew. But looking back, I realize I had something that most of them didn’t – I got to spend every day working with my family, enjoying the beauty of God’s creation. Sure my Dad worked seven days a week, three hundred sixty-five days a year, but he was always accessible to us. We could always find him – whether he was in the barn milking or out in the fields working.
I love summers on the farm. Soaking in the warmth of the summer sun. Enjoying the beauty of God’s creation. Knowing the satisfaction (and fatigue) of a hard day’s work as the sun sets.
For the last several summers, I have split my time between Germany and the farm. But now, for this season of my life, my summers are spent entirely in Germany. Summers on the farm are one of those things I must "sacrifice" for now...
1 comment:
Hmm...maybe there are farmers in Germany that might let you try your hand at raking their hay. =) But seriously, it was neat to hear you talk about Summers growing up. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment