On Wednesday, I saw my first snow of the season while driving to the embassy in Bern, Switzerland (That in and of itself could be a post, but I won't bore you. Suffice it to say that I lost my passport, don't have a clue what happened to it, and needed to get it replaced. God has been good and provided in many small ways through that adventure.) By the end of Wednesday, it was snowing here in Kandern. Thursday morning, the scene above of snow-dusted rooftops is what I awoke to. I LOVE the peacefulness that a fresh snowfall brings.
As I walk around town (with my cold hands shoved in my pockets:), I notice the contrast of the hills surrounding Kandern. The hills closest to Kandern are covered with the last remnants of fall colors. The hills further away, which are at a higher elevation, are covered with snow-laden evergreens. Ah. How beautiful!
Thursday as I walked to work (all bundled up in my winter coat...I have finally broken down and started wearing it), I was refreshed by the snow. In some ways, it reminded me of home. Having spent the past 8 winters not in NNY, I have come to appreciate life without the inconvenience of a spontaneous foot (or 10:) of snow. However, to me, winter is not winter without snow. I'd much rather have the beauty of a layer of the "white stuff" than look at the browns of dead trees and grass all winter. So, I'll pay the price of bundling up to enjoy life in a winter climate. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment