Thursday, October 4, 2007

Tag der Deutschen Einheit

Yesterday was German Unification Day, so I had the day off. This day commemorates the two Germanies (East and West) becoming one on October 3, 1990. (The Berlin Wall "fell" in 1989.) I think to most Americans my age, communism is something we read about in our high school history books. However, it becomes more and more evident to me that there are still are communist(ic) governments in the world, and its legacy lives on in many other countries, affecting many people's lives. I think many of us tend to think of Western Europe and Eastern Europe. However, the other day someone referred to Western Europe (countries that never were communistic), Central Europe (countries that were communistic and no longer are, but still feel the effects of it), and Eastern Europe (countries that still are communistic or otherwise very controlling).

God has given me a heart for Europe. I know I don't understand the history of this region and how that history affects the people as much as I should - may God deepen my understanding and make me more sensitive to the spiritual needs of the people in Europe.

No comments: