Monday, December 22, 2008

Unsure Anticipation


I sit here sipping coffee and staring at my Christmas tree, tears running down my cheeks as I think of my family thousands of miles away. Christmas is three days away. I must admit that I am not sure what to expect this week - what to anticipate. Yes, I know that Advent is all about anticipating and celebrating Christ's birth and His future second coming.

Yes, it is all about Christ. But our celebrations are closely tied into family as well. When I think of Christmas, I think of Christ and family. The word traditions also comes to mind. What are my traditions? They are not mine - they are my family's. How I celebrate Christmas this year, far from my family, is up to me. So, beginning today, I am starting some of my own traditions. Some may be my family's, some may be my own, some may be borrowed from other people. What exactly will they be? I am still not completely sure...

Yesterday in church, our pastor spoke on Mary's Magnificat. I want my heart to echo the beginning of her prayer (Luke 1:46-47):

"My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior."

Yes, even though I am far from family this Christmas, my soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.

Because it is all about Him, after all.

No comments: