Last Monday was a day of relief…relief because of some decisions. As most of you know, I had been planning to do a German language immersion course this fall. Well, doing so would mean “relocating” (or a very long commute) for a month or two. It would also mean not getting as well connected around here, since a lot of the activities start up at the beginning of the school year (just like in the States). Not feeling connected around here was weighing heavily on me, so for that reason (and some others), after much prayer and deliberation I have decided not to do an immersion course at this point. I have started going to a German class that BFA offers for its staff two days a week, and I think I’m going to take a course at the Volkshochschule (a community ed program I think we would call it in the States?) that starts in October. I am also going to be part of a women’s German/English Bible study that starts this week. So even though I’m not doing much formal language study at this point, I am trying to be more deliberate about studying it on my own and getting plugged into the German community around here.
Last Monday I also received word that I won’t have to go back to the States to raise more support at this point. This is another source of relief and decreases my anxious thoughts! PTL for He is good, even when my idea of good does not match His!
Day by day I am feeling more connected here – a fact for which I am thankful. But it does feel like I am on a rollercoaster sometimes – which I’m told is normal.
It would be easier to connect with people if my phone worked! To make a long story short, my home phone has not worked since camps ended (over a month ago). I am hoping that it REALLY gets fixed this week, as it is beginning to frustrate me a bit, but it reminds me to keep things in perspective.
I am really trying to commit to putting forth the effort necessary to THRIVE here…no matter how long I end up staying in Germany, I don’t want to look back on my time here and know that I didn’t make the most of it. Pray that I have the strength and courage to do that…to build into the people I meet and to engage in the culture around me. As Jim Elliot said “Wherever you are, be all there.”
No comments:
Post a Comment